In the 11 Plus exam is an entrance exam used by some schools in the United Kingdom to determine whether or not a student is eligible to attend a particular school. Because of this, it is vital for children to prepare for cloze tests by practising and honing their skills.
How to Help Your Child Prepare for Cloze Tests
A cloze test is an English exercise where a passage of text is missing certain words, and students must fill in the blanks. Cloze tests are designed to test a student’s ability to read and understand a passage of text and their grammar and vocabulary skills.
Cloze exercises are often used in the 11 Plus exams, an entrance exam used by some schools in the United Kingdom to determine whether or not a student is eligible to attend grammar and independent schools. They are also used in SATs tests.
Because they are widely used, it is important for children to prepare for cloze tests by practising and honing their skills.
There are a few ways that parents can help their children prepare for cloze tests:
1. Talk to your children about what they will be tested on. Many cloze tests focus on specific grammar rules and vocabulary words, so it is important for children to be aware of what they will be tested on.
2. Help them practise filling in blanks. One of the best ways to prepare for a cloze test is to practise filling in blanks. You can do this by providing your children with practice passages and having them fill in the missing words.
3. Encourage them to read extensively. The more a child reads, the better their understanding of grammar and vocabulary will be. Try to encourage your children to read as much as possible, both for school and for pleasure.
4. Help them focus on comprehension. In addition to knowing the right words to use, it is also important for students to understand what they are reading. Parents can help their children improve their comprehension skills by asking them questions about the text they are reading and discussing it with them.
5. Make sure they practice spelling correctly. One common mistake students make when taking cloze tests is spelling words incorrectly. Help your children avoid this by making sure they practice spelling correctly.
How To Help Your Child Prepare For Cloze Tests
There are also a few other things parents can do to help their children prepare for cloze tests:
1. Go over the test format with them. Many cloze tests follow a specific format, so it is important for children to be familiar with it. You can do that by using helpful resources like our Cloze workbook.
2. Help your child stay organised. Cloze tests often include a lot of information, so it is important for students to be able to manage their time wisely. Help your children stay organised by teaching them how to use a pencil and paper efficiently.
3. Make sure your child gets enough rest. It is important for children to be well-rested when taking any type of test, including cloze tests. Help your children get enough sleep by establishing a bedtime routine and sticking to it.
4. Encourage your child to relax and do their best. It is important for children to go into a cloze test feeling confident and relaxed. Remind them that everyone makes mistakes sometimes, and the most important thing is to do their best.
Parents can help their children prepare for cloze tests in a variety of ways. By following these tips, your children will be well on their way to scoring well on this important exam!